Sunday, 7 April 2013

Wild Turkey Off-Road Half Marathon

I've been looking forward to this event all year.  If you've read any of my other posts, you'll probably know that I love the trails out at Whatipu on Auckland's wild west coast.  They're tough and technical in parts, and incredibly beautiful in others, and always pack a punch at the end of 2-3 hours of hard out trail running.  So, the thought of racing these trails against others who feel the same way was very exciting.

The morning started off cold and wet, but by the time the half marathon got underway at around 7.30am, the rain had stopped, and blue sky was peaking through the clouds.

I knew that the trail out of Whatipu quickly narrows and heads up a long climb, so I was straight out of the blocks for a good position, and made it on to the bottom of Gibbons Track in about 4th or 5th place right behind some real speedsters. I knew that I wouldn't have a show of keeping with them on the long climb up to the top, but at least I was in a good position, and could run at my own pace rather than join a queue marching up the hill.  My heart was beating hard, and lungs burning within the first 2-3km, just as I expected.  Before I knew it we were past the 15k course turnoff at the intersection of Muir and Walker Ridge. On the climb out of Whatipu a few more people had passed me at that stage including Paul Billinghurst, Michael Rodliffe, and Shane Jordan, so I was in about 7th or 8th.

The run down Muir to Parahaha Valley was great fun.  It was quite slippery underfoot after rain earlier that morning - just enough to make the technical downhill quite challenging, and a real adrenaline rush! I thought to myself running down there how much fun bombing down a technical single track in race conditions is - it really is one of my favourite things to do.  About half way down to the Valley I stopped for a second or two, and Gerald Waters went whizzing by me saying in his great Welsh accent "no time to stop now!".  In no time at all he had disappeared from sight.

Once we reached the Valley I slowed a touch, ate a gel and tried to get my heart rate down - knowing that the next section up Buck Taylor Track is super steep and tough.  Towards the bottom of Buck Taylor Gary Philpott caught up with me, and we started the long uphill together.  We chatted heading up and over Buck Taylor and down Odlins for the next 20-30 minutes or so.  About half way up we passed some trampers who told us we were in 9th and 10th position respectively.  It felt really good still to be running in the top 10.

About 3/4 of the way up Chris Morrisey, who went on to win the marathon, passed us looking very strong.  I kept with him for a few seconds, but that man is a veritable mountain goat, and quickly dropped me.

By the time we reached the bottom of Odlins my legs were feeling like jelly, and I was puffing (after a long downhill section!), so I eased off, and Gary ran on ahead.  At that stage (which would have been around 12km in) the effects of running pretty hard started to catch up with me, and I did a fair amount of hiking the hills.  From the bottom of Odlins up to Karamataura Forks is about 5km mostly uphill (with a couple of nice downhills thrown in).  I knew what to expect, and just kept chugging along.

On the way up I glanced back and started seeing another runner in a yellow singlet.  Slowly but surely he hunted me down, and eventually caught up.  He was a really nice chap Duncan Darroch, who had travelled from Nelson to run the event.  Duncan and I stuck together to Karamataura, and then down Don McLean going quite fast.  About 1/2 way down I pulled into the lead and gave Duncan a tow down to Puriri Ridge.  By that stage I had pulled out probably a 20 second gap, and thought that would be enough.

Over the top of Puriri Ridge I caught up with my brother Steve - who was doing the 15K (his first ever trail race - in fact first ever race!). I checked how he was doing and gave him a hug, and told him I was being chased, and so needed to box on.

Before very long I was on to the last section - Kura Track, and I could hear Duncan only seconds behind me.  Dammit. He was running the steep downhill very strongly, and I was starting to tire.  About 1/2 way down Kura Sam Manson, who came second in the marathon, passed me, and Duncan continued closing in.  I'd pull a small gap on the flatter sections (of which there aren't many), and he'd reel me back in on the steeper bits.

About 2/3 down Kura, just before the first of a couple of river crossings, I rolled my right ankle, and before I knew it Duncan passed me and ran on ahead. There was nothing I could do at that stage - I just kept on running gingerly on until my ankle stopped hurting.

The last couple of kms were good again, and I ran hard trying my hardest to catch the guys ahead, but to no avail.  Before I knew it, I rounded the last corner, to see Bernie and Eva (Steve's wife and daughter) call out "go Sparky".  I put on a burst for the line, crossed, and collapsed on the grass puffing hard.

My official finish time was 2.25.47 for 12th overall, and 4th in the Veteran Men's category.

And only 10 minutes after I finished Steve crossed the line for an awesome 2.35 15K on his first ever trail race!  I am so proud of him.

Steve and I at the finish. Awesome first race bro!

What a great day it was. It was great fun running the trails I love with great trail running buddies, some old and some new.  Can't wait now until the event next year, although I suspect that it won't be that long before Steve and I are out there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment