Sunday, 3 June 2012

Devonport - Browns Bay Coastal Run

The Coastal Walkway

Yesterday's (Sunday, the 3rd of June) run was a 42.2km run from Devonport up to Browns Bay and back.

The first approximately 10km of the run followed the Auckland Marathon course from Devonport, along Vauxhall Road and through Narrowneck Beach, up and over Clifton Road, and up Lake Road to Takapuna.

From Takapuna I dropped down onto the Takapuna - Milford coastal walkway, and picked my way along the rocks and promentaries to Milford Beach.

The view from Takapuna out to Rangitoto just before sunrise

The rocks are quite slippery, as I later found out.


From Milford Beach it was back on the road up to Mairangi Bay, where I rejoined the beach and coastal walkway through to Murrays Bay.  Running along the causeway, a wave broke up against the side and soaked me head to toe.  Great fun, but cold!

The causeway, where I got soaked
From Murray's Bay, there was a steep uphill section through to Rothesay Bay, and along the top of the rolling hills to the turnaround at Browns Bay.  I reached the 1/2 way mark in 1:59, about what I was aiming for.

On the way back I pushed a bit harder, aiming for a negative split.  I felt good on the rolling hills between Rothesay Bay and Mairangi Bay and ran some sub 5.00 kms.  I eased back when I slipped and fell on the rocky section between Mairangi Bay and Takapuna.  I cut my hand a couple of places on my right leg - nothing too bad, but there was a bit of blood for effect.  I was back up and running within a few seconds, pride slightly dented, but otherwise ok.

The last 10kms from Takapuna back to Devonport were just a matter of maintaining pace, and remembering that it is supposed to be fun - not all about hard slog. That is sometimes difficult on longer runs. At about the 3 hour mark I could notice the difference as I my body had burned through the last of the glycogen, and was on to fat burning mode.  I found it noticeably more difficult, but not impossible, to keep pace.

I finished the run back at home feeling good, and pleased with a negative split of 4 minutes, and total time of 3:54.  Two years ago that would've been a marathon PB.  Total elevation gain around 500m - almost twice that of the Auckland Marathon, and with some rocks and beach running thrown in, I was happy.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!! Wow, stunning place to run! Beats pounding the wet streets here 'sunny' Kent!

    As for the run it self, just wow! I can say no more :-)

    ReplyDelete