On Saturday the 23rd of June I ran the section of the Hillary Trail between Karekare and Piha. It's a stunningly beautiful piece of the West Coast, tracking along the cliffs high above Karekare and Mercer Bay, and going past the Kitekite Falls on the way to Piha. Hopefully some of the photos I took do it justice.
I thought a lot on this run about how running has opened so many doors for me in the last few years. I've seen some amazing sights (like the ones below) that so many people just don't get to see. I've met some incredible people, with whom I share a common love of the outdoors and real passion for trail running. Most of all, particularly on solo runs like this, and on longer events like Tarawera, I've learnt so much about myself - about how far I can push my body; about grit and determination; about what really makes up my character; and of the joy of achieving some long term goals. I've also learnt that you can do so much more than you think you can. And in that sense, every run and new experience, opens a door to another. There are still so many things I want to do and achieve in the world of trail running. I can't wait until the next adventure.
For now, here are my snaps of Saturday's run. I'll be back here for Midwinter Midnight Madness III this coming Saturday!
 |
| The start of the trail - overlooking North Karekare |
 |
| First glimpse of Mercer Bay |
 |
| Another view of Mercer Bay - sun just starting to rise behind and catching the top of the cliffs above the bay |
 |
| The wind is strong on the West Coast! |
 |
| The sun rising over the back of Comans Track |
 |
| The other side of Mercer Bay - rounding the cliff tops to Piha |
 |
| Stunning Kitekite Falls |
 |
| Kitekite again - I was quite taken aback by this sight. You come bursting out of the bush, and suddenly, there it is! |
Absolutely gorgeous photos Mark! Wow, I'm sure it would hard not to be inspired to push your self, but then again, coming across places like that water fall, I can imagine just stopping in your tracks to just take it all in! Gods Glorious creation, it just has to stop you sometimes :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Moosh. Sure does!
ReplyDelete