![]() |
| Otakaina - Tarawera Falls Track - keeps on dragging me back! |
For the 2012 race I decided to turn my training on its head. The reality is that I didn't have any choice, as I only decided, for certain, to enter the race about 6 weeks out from the start (I tried, but couldn't resist the Sirens' call of the Okataina - Tarawera Falls Track, or the chance to meet Anton Krupicka).
With only 6 weeks to train I knew that I’d have to do things a little differently – I had no time to gradually build up a base of long slow runs, so decided to see what would happen if I kept up high intensity shorter training runs, mixed with strength and cardio training on the bike. Looking back over my training diary, I averaged only 43km/week running in the 6 weeks leading up to the race, and only did 3 runs over 30km, my longest being 45km two weeks before the event.
Going in to the race, I felt relaxed and confident, based on the fact that I knew the course well (having run it the last 2 years), and I wasn’t feeling tired or overtrained (which is a very good thing). At race registration on the Friday night I “upgraded” my entry from the 60k to the 85k, perhaps letting my confidence get the better of me...
On race day I did two things differently, and I would recommend both of them.
First, I ditched my trusty Camelbak in favour of a hand-held bottle. What I'd realised on my first two races was that I ended up lugging around much more water, gear, and nutrition than I really needed. The aid stations at Tarawera are numerous (rarely more than about 10k apart), and ridiculously well stocked. I look forward to the buffet every year. You can also leave drop bags at a number of the aid stations, so, there's no need to take copious amounts of food or gear with you. Ditching the Camelbak gave me the feeling of freedom - running as light as possible - and I loved it.
![]() |
| Running with the hand-held |
I managed to finish the 85k race (to complete the 60-85-100k trifecta) in a time of 11.31, which I was very happy with given my limited training, and even more limited running ability. I proved to myself that there is no magic formula you must follow. Just run and enjoy every minute.



Useful advice for a newbie about to do the 85 for the first time. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete